Monday, January 12, 2015

My first art journal page

Inspired by Astrid MacLean and France Papillion, and a very timely post from Brenda at Bumblebees and Butterflies.  Week Two can be found here.


The rest here is just for my records - feel free to skip.  But first, a thank you to Brenda!  Great exercise for this newbie!

Background of gesso-coated page created with Silk glaze in Apricot Nectar, Emperor's Gold, and Pink Anthurium with lots of water.


Texture paste applied through Prima stencil and then colored with watered down Silk glaze Wine and Roses, with lots of drips going every which way.  I did the layout on Bristol Vellum, and then put into my journal, an approach I saw on Jennie's blog.  Since I am doing this with a broken hand, thought it would be easier to manipulate the pages, and I think that was a good choice.... plus even with gesso my other sample journal (mixed media it claims) is horribly warped even when dry.  I think I should probably coat both sides, even though just working on one.

Stenciling added with Chalk Ink in Rusty Hinge dabbed on with makeup sponge, using a Donna Downey stencil.  Then toned down with diluted gesso.


Lynne Perella Geisha stamped with Black Archival on clear vellum, edged with fine detail gold embossing powder and attached with brads that are reminiscent of Japanese family crests.


Ginko leaf stamped with Versamark and embossed with Antique Gold powder - love the muscularity of using this thicker power for a delicate stamp.



Felt white spaces needed something, so applied more watered down Wine and Roses mixed with Pink Anthurium.


Not sure I am happy with that effect, but do think it is a marginal improvement.  Makes me wonder what the backstory is here.....broken heart?  Regicide or murder a la Kurasowa movie?  But love the inky effects.  Detailed shots below.




Ended by stamping sentiment and fun script stamp, with some spattered diluted gesso to try to tone down the dramatic purple.  Wrote "Saranoya" with a gold Sharpie.





Very fun!  Can't wait to keep playing along with this great activity offered by Brenda.

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pages Lynn! Love the inky background and the gold detail! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lynn,
    You are doing all the right things; playing and reading your Art, knowing what it is saying this is how we learn, Your hand writing is amazing, it has a gorgeous flow about it.
    I love the image you have chosen as well and the drips... well they are terrific.
    Great double spread for a 'NEWBIE' as you put it.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never have guessed you were a newbie! This is so beautiful and wonderfully composed (from someone who cannot journal!) and your handwriting is superb. I just love the addition of the ginko leaf too. I hope your hand mends soon! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, a fabulous page Lynn, newbie? I would never have known. So glad you linked to A Visual Journey so I could see this. Thanks for sharing the inspiration, photos and info.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree ... a lovely page. The colours are simple and elegant that go so well with the images.

    ReplyDelete

Due to hacking, alas, all comments will be moderated by Experiments in Paper.