Monday, February 16, 2015

Playing Around in an Antique Butterfly Curio Case




Wanting to get something together for this week's post to Brenda's Visual Journey, I started playing around with Deco Art's Weathered Wood and new Crackle Paste.   I also wanted to meet the requirements for the current PaperArtsy and Vintage Journey challenges.  The former requires only paint, and the latter has quite a few options, as it is a tic-tac-toe!



Paint I could do!  But what to do for the Vintage Journey challenge?


I started with the second row, but ended up without any ephemera that worked. I thought I had it solved, but then realized I had chosen embellishments.  I will confess I don't really get the difference, but I think ephemera are paper, and not die cut by me.  Embellishments must then be everything else, including anything I make. Obviously still making my way through this new world :-)  So I ended up making the first column (although I have used everything except Texture Fades and ribbon/twine.  I am tangled up enough already without adding that physical dimension to the work!)


Once again, not starting out with a story, but definitely wanting to play with the Andy Skinner technique using DecoArt's Weathered Wood and translucent acrylic in Quinacridone Gold and trying also Golden's translucent Smalt Hue.






 The base for all of these was painted with Lumiere's Metallic Gold paint.



I made a dimensional case, from Tim Holtz' cabinet card die.  I cut the die twice, using the second cut to make the doors, which open to the butterfly image.



The outside doors and the butterfly panel were aged with Deco Art's Weathered Wood using Quinacridone Gold as the top layer, after stamping in archival ink on top of the Lumiere gold layer.




The inner doors were painted with Golden's Smalt Hue, trying a wash on one side and on the other panel a thicker application of the paint.




So my little butterfly curio case was done, once I added a metal embellishment, cut in half and bent slightly for the door handles.  These bits were gilded with Treasure Gold "Spanish Topaz".



I mounted the curio case on a piece of KaiserCraft scrapbooking paper, toned down with watered gesso and Iced Spruce Distress paint.




 I applied DecoArt crackle paste through a Prima Stencil, and colored it once dry with Iced Spruce distress paint.  But not having gessoed the underling paper, I lost some of the crackle....so covered it all with matte medium.





And then tried Golden's translucent acrylic Green Gold mixed with a bit of Smalt Hue:


I added two metal embellishments, altered with Treasure Gold's "Spanish Topaz".


Added the foil tape (embossed) altered with the same Treasure Gold "Spanish Topaz".


And some die-cut lace spritzed with Lindy's Stamp Gang Opal Sea Oats (a copper shimmer) and a blue Prima Color Bloom spray, just to finish the raw edge of the paper.


And here is the final product - more of a techniques page than anything else, although it does look like a little special folly in a grotto, with some intriguing stone carving and personal momentos reminding us it is from a time well past.... ok, I do have an active imagination!  :-)



Thanks so much for stopping by, and please do comment - I love hearing from you!

11 comments:

  1. Wowww Lymm , I love the wndow and these stunning butterflies,,,,my friend,,,, take a look to my Journee de roger and if you like it I´ll send a free copy from my Black & White version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just stunning - I love the techniques you've used and now feel the need of a bottle of weathered wood! I love the butterflies and the embellishments, in fact everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore your crackle and stamp work here Lynn. You creations are amazing! I am of to have a closer look at some of them. I will be back!!! Love from Laura xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love your weathered paint look here - so cool in the bold colour combinations you've used, and the stencilled texture over the flowers looks just lovely!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous page Lynn! The background is fabulous! Love that wood effect too! Thanks for your lovely comments! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fabulous project and I love the texture you have created with the paints. Thank You for joining in with us at AVJ this fortnight
    HUgs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to experiment and create a lovely project Lynn. Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous! I love everything here! The door and the butterflies are stunning! Love the texture!
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blimey Lynne, I think we should get you setting tic tac toe challenges! You got so many ideas into the one project ! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow wow so many techniques and gorgeous backgrounds, awesome. Happy Art :-) Kezzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all of the textures here Lynn, lots of gorgeous crackle and fabulous mixing and blending of colours. You did a great job again.
    Thanks for sharing at a visual journey.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete

Due to hacking, alas, all comments will be moderated by Experiments in Paper.