Friday, August 9, 2019

Marvelous Metallics for the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog!



The ever-talented Jenny Marples is hosting the August challenge for the Funkie Junkie Boutique blog, and the theme is Marvelous Metallics.  Here is her description -

There are so many ways to add metallics to your projects, from embossing powders and pastes, metallic finish cards and foils, metallic inks and paints to metal embellishments. And you can leave them untreated for a touch of glamour or alter them for an aged or more grungy look. Show us how you like to use metals on your vintage or shabby chic projects.




I love shiny, and have been wanting to play around with my lovely collection of gilding flakes.... but not the usual.  In poking around my art books for inspiration, I re-discovered the gorgeous coffee table book I have, covering Klimt's complete repertoire of paintings.... I have always loved his use of gold leaf, and in looking at his work, I realized I also love his use of repeated patterns, but in a looser fashion - not every pattern is identical to its neighbor. 








I am also quite taken with loose brushstroke calligraphy and mark-making, particularly in the Japanese style  - I do seem to be on an Oriental kick lately for some reason.  At any rate, I recalled the Tim Holtz/Stamper's Anonymous Brushstroke stamps, and a background that they produced a few years past called "Rings".  And as another version, I pulled out a smaller stamp from Hero Arts called "Painted Circle" which also uses the dry brush technique to scribe a circle.

Lastly, as I am readying a portfolio of cards and other paper craft items in hopes of gaining juried entry into our local winter market, I decided to see if I could produce cards using the gilding flakes and these beautiful stamps.


Below are the results.  I made several long cards using the Hero Arts design, rotating the image a quarter-turn each time I stamped.  The larger Tim Holtz circular brushstroke is more solid, but I decided to use it anyway, and I am happy with how it took the metallic flakes.  The rings stamp is more "splatty", but it still yields the impression of brushwork to me, and again, I am pleased with the outcome.


The word "greetings" was created by applying double sided tape to a piece of 80 lb. cardstock, removing the protective layer on top, and applying flake, to produce gilded paper.  I will definitely be looking for more uses of this technique, as the paper is gorgeous.  The word itself looks better IRL, but you get the idea.  I could see this with the word "peace" for a holiday card as well, since the image brings a globe to my mind.

Here is the more solid circular brushstroke up close.  The photos do not do justice to these beautiful flakes!


Here is the "Rings" stamp on black card, mounted (as is the "greetings" card) on a piece of linen textured Tonic Studios gold card.  I cut out the centers of the linen mat, so as not to waste all the fabulous gold real estate!


Here is the Painted Circle from Hero Arts.  I added a torn piece of mulberry paper that I had sprayed with Heidi Swapp gold, and then rested on a silicon mat that still had a bit of brown on it - gave it a lovely tarnish, and again, I will repeat this technique for upcoming holiday cards.


The variety of colors in each of the flake collections I used is just fabulous.  I was moving too fast to make notes, but I did use flakes from Cosmic Shimmer as well as Indigo Blu.


I repeated this motif on a white card, just to see... I rather like it.  My original thought was to stamp some Kanji calligraphy stamps down the side, and I also tried a Seth Apter stamp that resembles such type of calligraphy.  But it added too much detail, detracting from the abstract pattern I already had - thus the plain strip of gold mulberry paper.



All of these panels will be mounted on cards proper, and envelopes made once I get past my month's end deadline.

As always, thanks for hanging in with me - I hope you enjoyed your tour!  Please do leave a comment if you wish - I always love hearing from you!

As mentioned, I will be entering this into the Marvelous Metallics challenge at the Funkie Junkie Boutique blog.

6 comments:

  1. All of your cards are stunning, Lynn! The gilding is so eyecatching on the black background. I especially love the rings with it's repetition of pattern horizontally and vertically. But the HA stamp makes a beautiful image with the elegant gilding. These cards are so perfect for our Marvellous Metallic challenge at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog; thank you for sharing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly beautiful art! Love the gilding!
    Hugs, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work with the gilding flakes - I especially love the smaller rings, on both black and white, and the strip of mulberry paper makes for a very Oriental look to the design. It's so nice to see your inspiration photos too... I love the journeys our creative imaginations take us on, so I really enjoy seeing the starting points. I can see your point about greetings cards - you've nearly got the "Five Gold Rings" from The Twelve Days of Christmas right there!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic metallics. Love the rings on both backgrounds and I think you nailed the Japanese feel. Thanks for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  5. As ever Lynn you totally inspire me and when playing with gilding flakes so often less is so much more. I love the crisp finish of seeing them on a black background - so oriental! - and finished with a simple word or strip of mulberry paper. Thank you for the shout out too! Thank you so much for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your cards are stunning, Lynn! The gilding is so eyecatching on the black background. I especially love the rings with it's repetition of pattern horizontally and vertically. Vergil Coat

    ReplyDelete

Due to hacking, alas, all comments will be moderated by Experiments in Paper.