Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Fabulous Time with Finnabair!




I've been quite lucky this summer to have two of my very favorite artists offer workshops within a reasonable distance from my home in Connecticut (i.e., not on the other coast, lol!)  First was the incredible time with Lynne Perella in June.  And just last weekend, I attended two days of brilliant inspiration with Finnabair at Donna Downey's studio in Charlotte, NC.









Here are some closeups..... I don't really have a good photo of the set of three canvases that comprise the entire piece that we made the first day.  The central focus of the composition were two paintbrushes!







We played around with black sand, black gesso and lots of mica powders in fabulous, yummy colors. As you can see, I chose lavender as one of my main colors, along with gold, and a mix of golds and pinks to make a rose gold, which you can see on the brush handles and embellishments above.


When I went back to the hotel that night, I worked on the piece for the Paper Artsy challenge of the last post.

On the second day, we went in the opposite direction on the color palette, by embracing white gesso and using the micas in sprays by mixing them with water.  I don't have detail shots.  As I was flying out cross country to see family directly after the second workshop, I had both pieces shipped out to where I would be staying, so I could show them off :-)  So I will post on the second piece, again three canvases, next week when I receive my package!

Thanks so much for stopping by - I love to have you visit, and please do comment!  I love hearing from you....  xxx Lynn


5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a stunning piece - it's very striking in those wonderful dark colours, and I love the richness you've created by adding the mica powders. The paint brushes work so well and give it a real focus - what a fantastic idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lynn, you lucky lady to be able to attend such wonderful workshops! Your Finn piece is just stunning!! I adore your lavender and gold colour
    palette and that deep rose gold looks amazing!! Love those brushes as a focal image, just fantastic. I really look forward to your next project now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glorious work inspired by the glorious Finnabair. Love the deep tones of the mica over the black, and the texture from the sand is fabulous. I've been lucky enough to do a Finn workshop too, so I know just how fabulous she is - and now I can't wait to see the piece from the second day.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a incredible canvas,,,,,,,,,yu did such a amazing work,,,,,Thanks for sharing it,,, sorry for the late reply...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy smackerdoodles! This is awesome sauce and you are one lucky lady to have attended a Finn workshop! It is on my bucket list! So many wonderful details in this design and gorgeous colors you have combined. Wowzers! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete

Due to hacking, alas, all comments will be moderated by Experiments in Paper.