I decided to use the latest Paper Artsy challenge "Time" to explore a faux patina technique I came across in Nancy Reyner's book Acrylic Illuminations.
I started by cutting the Tim Holtz Weathered Clock and Ornamental dies from card, and then painted them metallic gold and copper, respectively. I was curious to see how the patina looked on copper.
Once dry, I applied some Golden fiber paste with my finger, making some areas quite thick, and smudging other areas. I made sure to leave a few bits clear of any paste as well.
The patina effect comes from painting over the fiber paste with Iridescent Bronze acrylic paint diluted with a good bit of water - I think the ratio is around 50:50, but I just kept adding water until the water turned a lovely light turquoise color. This color is then painted over the fiber paste, providing an absolutely wonderful patina!
I also love how it worked on the copper piece, which would be the face of my clock.
Next, I created my background, by apply a generous amount of modeling paste to a gessoed piece of card the size of my journal, and pouncing it with a fairly dry baby wipe to get a rough texture.
Once dry, I coated the page in a rather sloppy way with Pumice Stone and Hickory Smoke Distress paints, spritzed lightly with water, and then pounced again with my baby wipe. I was going for an old stone look, but it looks more like cement..... oh well. Next time, instead of pouncing the paste, I will roughly swipe it to get more of a stone feel.
I added two other pieces from my scrap pile, both from the Tim Holtz Baroque die, embossed with a flourished Texture Fades embossing folder which is one of my favorites. One piece is clear acetate which I had "silvered" with alcohol ink, and the other is a bit of card I had used to mop up a little "oops" moment I had when painting for another project with Tarnished Bronze Distress paints. I used the patina technique on this latter as well, along with some Ideology letters to spell time.
For a finish, I decided to put my hand to making some flowers, following Pamellia's great video tutorial. I cut a bunch of flowers from the Tattered Florals die and colored them with a large range of distress inks, to represent each of the four seasons. I was quite chuffed with the results, and how readily they all went together.
I ended up covering most of my additional pieces, although some of the acetate still shows through with the lovely embossing.
I will be entering this at Time Challenge at Paper Artsy.
Thanks so much for stopping by, and if you've time, please leave a comment! I always love hearing your thoughts, and hope you enjoy your visit! xxx Lynn