Sunday, May 31, 2015

Gilded Bottle for Paper Artsy



I have not yet worked much in three dimensions, so the latest PaperArtsy challenge to use bottles intrigued me!  I love little bottles, and actually found some of the new miniature Tim Holtz Bottles locally.  I thought initially about making a necklace or some sort of thing out of them.  But not sure what technique to use..... painted bottles look pretty but are not my cup of tea (at least yet).


I absolutely love what Alison has done with jars and candles, so began thinking about that.  And then I happened upon Jenny Marple's wonderful technique with glass using alcohol inks.  So I thought to  use these inks,  But then my mind went straight to gilding flakes after watching Jenny's latest make using Flitter Glu with embossing powder.  I look forward to using this incredible glue with embossing powder, but at the moment, I was enthralled with gilding flakes!  I know, I know!  But this dog doesn't learn new tricks readily :-)  Have to go to the tried and true stuff first!

I snagged an unusual bottle from one of my big-box crafting stores (alas, we don't have any truly local stores anymore).  And painted it with Glue N Seal to provide some tooth for the subsequent Flitter Glu and Flake...


Once dry, the Glue N Seal looks like this....


I then patted over the entire bottle with Flitter Glu and applied gilding flake (Morris Dance from Indigo Blu).





To keep the flake secure against handling, I repainted the entire bottle with a light layer of Glue N Seal.  This dimmed the bright flake slightly....but still beautiful.

I then wound very thin gold beading wire around the bottle on diagonals...


and added some glass beads with metal accents to match the predominant gilded flake coloring of teal/turquoise.






And here is the finished piece -



Thank you so much for stopping by!  Please do leave a comment if you've time - I always love to hear what you think!

I will be entering this into the PaperArtsy Topic 10 Bottle Challenge, as well as Brenda's Visual Journey once the new link opens for June....

10 comments:

  1. Stunning!! Absolutely beautiful transformation, and the choice of a multicoloured gilding flake works a treat. Ruthx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous Lynn, what an amazing transformation! The shape of the bottle is perfect for those flakes and the addition of the wire and beads is genius, the end result looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea! A real luxe effect. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lynn this is stunning - I just love the effect of the gilding flakes, and the wire and beads sets it off perfectly. It looks as though it should be in an extremely expensive gallery - I also love the way you've photographed it against the black background - it really has the WOW factor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lynn, love the makeover on this bottle. Looks stunning with the wire and beads.
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lyn this is absolutely gorgeous, I need to have a go at this, it would be fab for Christmas. Love how you added the beading wire and accents - just enough and the perfect touch. Thanks for sharing your visual inspiration with me.
    have a great weekend.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Lyn, beautiful bottle. Please get in touch darcydotneedles@hotmail.com.

    Darcy from PaperArtsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Darcy -

      Thank you for your visit and comments. I have emailed you directly from my lynncprice@comcast.net address.

      Delete
  8. An absolute work of art - it looks stunning on your shelf. So inspired to go for a full coat of gilded flakes, and I love the wire wrapping - such a cool effect. Wonderful!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Due to hacking, alas, all comments will be moderated by Experiments in Paper.